South Lopham sign

The History of South Lopham

South Lopham picture

LOPHAM (SOUTH) is a parish and village in Guiltcross union and hundred, diocese of Norwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk, rural deanery of Rockland, and Diss county court district, distant 1 mile S. of North Lopham. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building, with tower of great beauty rising between the nave and chancel, of Norman style, and contains eight bells. The living is consolidated with North Lopham; the Rev. J. F. Bateman, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a Free school. The population in 1871 was 632, and the acreage 1,937, in the same manor as North Lopham, and belonging chiefly to the Duke of Norfolk ; here are also several small proprietors. On the south side of North and South Lopham are two springs, from whence the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse flow, the former running eastward to Yarmouth, and the latter westward to Thetford and Lynn, both forming the boundary of Norfolk and Suffolk. [J. G. Harrod & Co.‘s Royal County Directory of Norfolk with Lowestoft in Suffolk, 1877.]

The sections below will take you to what we currently have about the history of South Lopham.

Current available data for South Lopham
(Use the searches to find individual records )

Photos of South Lopham as it is now .....

None to display yet


Notes:


  [ Home ] [ Local ]  

Page last updated: 14 Jul 2022
© Diss Family History Group & Nigel Peacock 2022