Fressingfield sign

Fressingfield in 1869

Fressingfield picture

Below is a transcript of the Fressingfield entry in the Post Office Directory Directory of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk 1869

FRESSINGFIELD is a large and pleasant village and parish, situated on an eminence, 4½ miles from Harleston railway station, 4 from Stradbroke, and 9 from Eye, in the Eastern division of the county, IIoxne hundred and union, Harleston county court district, Hoxne rural deanery, Suffolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a fine old building, in the Perpendicular and Florid styles, with square tower, containing a peal of 8 bells and clock, ancient Gothic porch, nave, aisles and chancel: the interior is lighted by twelve clerestory windows, and the roof is of beautifully carved oak: the pulpit and seats are of oak, handsomely carved: in May, 1865, an organ, by Bevington and Son, of London, was placed in the interior. The register dates from the year 1565. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Withersdale annexed, joint annual value £597, with residence, in gift of the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. William Royde Colbeck, B.D., of that college. There is a National school, built in 1847; and the Baptists have a large chapel. There are several charities, left by Archbishop Sancroft, William Sancroft, Esq., and John Shepherd, to the amount of £60 per year, for repairing the church and other uses. The charity of Archbishop Sancroft is the Guildhall estate, with 7 acres of land, value £50, for repairing and ornamenting the church, and a fee farm rent of £10 for teaching 5 poor boys free, £6 for clerk, with house. John Shepherd left the interest of £20 to be given in bibles annually. Adjoining the churchyard is the Fox and Goose inn, a ,·ery ancient building, which was formerly the Guildhall. The lords of the manor and principal landowners are Lord Henniker, for Ufford Hall; Col. Sir Robert Alexander Shafto Bart, Bart., for Chepen Hall; Henry Newton Heale, Esq., for Whittingham Hall ; and Thomas Walker Dring, Esq., for Vales Hall; Mr. Robert John More is also a landowner. The land is fertile, and of a mixed soil. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, turnips and pasture. The population in 1861 was 1,325; the area is 4,500 acres; the gross value is £8,174 15s., and the rateable value £6,978 10s.

CHEPENHALL and Ufford Green are hamlets; Hussey Green is south· east; Caterpole Green is three·quarters of a mile south.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Balls.

POST 0FFICE.-
William Engledow, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Harleston at 8.20 a.m.; box closes at 5 p.m.; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Harleston

INSURANCE AGENTS:-
General Hail Storm, J. Thurston
Liverpool & London & Globe, J. Bond
Provincial Fire & Life, G. W. Pretty

National School, George Francis, master; Miss Matilda Kett, mistress

CARRIERS TO:-
DISS - Edward Squires, friday
HARLESTON-Edward Squires, almost every day; John Smith, every day

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.Pretty George Willson, esq. M.R.C.S., L.S.ABarber George, farmer & cattle dealer
Broome Rev. Caleb [Baptist]Barber Henry Edward, boot maker
Chandler MissRead MissBarber James, blacksmith
Colbeck Rev. William Royde, B.D., J.P. [vicar]Rope Mr. RichardBeddingfield George, grocer & draper
COMMERCIAL.Bond John, farmer
Knevett Rev. John, M.A. [vicar of Needham, Norfolk, & chaplain of Hoxne Union houseAldous Henry, blacksmith & farmerBryant William, baker
Balls Charles, farmer & poultry dealerBuskard Charles, farmer
Balls (Miss), dress makerBuskard Hannah (Miss), dress maker
Leftley Mr. Samuel JamesBalls Thomas, cooperCapon Philip, farmer-, Lawn farm
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Chandler John, bricklayerHayward James, Angel innRumsby John, shopkeeper, Chepenhall green
Chapman Edgar, bricklayerHines John, farmer
Clutten Edward, beer retailerHowlett Benjamin, farmerRush Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Clutten Edward, farmer, Whittingham HallHubbard William, grocer & draperRush Thomas, farmer
Kemp James, farmerSaunders Samuel, farmer
Clutten Milicent (Mrs.), farmerKnight Ephraim, Bros. farmersScoggins Elijah, tailor
Clutten William, farmerLarter Anne (Mrs.), farmerSeaman Edwin, farmer
Connold Valentine, farmerMayhew (Misses), ladies' boarding schoolSeaman John, farmer
Curson William, farmerMeen James, boot makerSmith George, Swan inn
Davy George, butter & general dealerMeen Samuel, farmerSpaul James, maltster
Day Henry, butcherMillican George, farmerSquires Edward, carrier
Engledow William, grocer & draper & postmasterMore Robert John, farmer & landownerSquires Harriett (Miss), shopkeeper, Chepenhall green
Motts James, Fox & Goose, & butcher
Etheridge Lewis, carpenterMotts William, flour dealerStanton James, miller
Etheridge Robert, carpenterParsley William, farmer, ChepenhallStorer John, shopkeeper
Feaviour Harriett ( Mrs.), dress makerPearce Ann (Miss), dress makerThurston James & Son, M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeons
Feaviour Robert, coach builder & shop keeperPearce John, farmer
Pepper Lemon, farmer, Street farmVincent James, furniture broker
Feaviour Thomas, farmerPinkney Samuel, farmerVincent John, boot & shoe maker
Fisher John, farmer, HallPrecious John, wheelwright & blacksmithVincent John, farmer
Gedney John Chaston, farmerVincent Robert, nursery & seeds man
Gibson Ezekiel, plumber& painterPretty George Willson, surgeon,M.R.C.S. & L.S.A. & district medical officer for Hoxne unionVincent William, carpenter
Godbold Caroline (Miss), dress makerWatson Lot, beer retailer
Goodchild William, farmerWelton William, miller
Gower George, farmerPyett Charles, farmerWoodward Robert Charles, farmer, Chepenhall green
Green Jane (Mrs.) farmer, Ufford hallRead Robert, farmer

[Using just this single directory entry it is easy to get a good idea of the history and life of the village, its inhabitants and the activities/business taking place there.]


Notes:


  [ Home ] [ Local ] [ Fressingfield ]  

Page last updated: 13 Jul 2022
© Diss Family History Group & Nigel Peacock 2022