Roydon sign

The History of Roydon

Roydon picture

ROYDON (Near Diss) is a parish and village l½ miles W. of Diss station, in Diss hundred and county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Norwich, rural deanery of Redenhall. It contains 1,217 acres of land, of which the chief owners are G. E. Frere, Esq., and Mr. Charles Chase, of Diss. J. C. Brook, Esq., is lord of the manor of Roydon Tufts. Roydon hall is the seat and property of G. E. Frere, Esq., F.R.S., J.P. It is a handsome red brick mansion, surrounded by beautiful grounds, and stands on an eminence above the river. The church, St. Remigius, is an ancient building, with a round tower and octagon top, with three bells. At the chancel end are two monuments to the family of Frere. The living is a rectory, in the gift of G. E. Frere, Esq.; annual value £456, with 40 acres of glebe. The Rev. T. C. Hose is the rector, and has a handsome residence with fine grounds, in which is an avenue of lime trees. There is a School Board, and charities for the aged poor. The population in 1871 was about 610. [J. G. Harrod & Co.‘s Royal County Directory of Norfolk with Lowestoft in Suffolk, 1877.]

The sections below will take you to what we currently have about the history of Roydon.

Currently available data for Roydon
(Use the searches to find individual records )

Photos of Roydon as it is now .....

Nothing to display yet



Notes:


  [ Home ] [ Local ]  

Page last updated: 13 Jul 2022
© Diss Family History Group & Nigel Peacock 2022