Bressingham sign

Botesdale in 1892

Botesdale picture

Below is a transcript of the Botesdale entry in the Kelly’s 1892 Directory of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk

BOTESDALE is a small town, consisting of BOTESDALE, with portions of the parishes of RICKINGHALL INFERIOR and RICKINGHALL SUPERIOR adjoining, forming one street of nearly a mile in length, on the road from Bury to Norwich, and is a polling place for the North Eastern division of the county, 4½ miles west from Mellis station, 6 south-west from Diss in Norfolk, 8 west-by-north from Eye, 15 from Bury St. Edmunds and 87 from London, in Hartismere hundred, petty sessional division and union, county court district of Eye, rural deanery of Hartismere, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of Norwich. This place, for ecclesiastical purposes, is in the parish of Redgrave. The town is supplied with gas from works, the property of Samuel Robinson esq. situated at the back of Botesdale street, and erected in 1862. The water supply is obtained from wells. The church of St. Botolph, originally built about 1500, as a memorial chapel to the Sheriffe family, as appears from an inscription over the doorway, is a structure of flint with one bell, and in 1884 was purchased by Miss Wilson and conveyed to trustees, and has since been used for Church of England services: there is a stained window to the memory of Mr. Hepworth: the church affords 250 sittings, 80 being free. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of Redgrave, average tithe rent-charge £677; net yearly value, £476, including 42 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of George Holt Wilson esq. and held since 1881 by the Rev. Thomas Holt Wilson M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, who resides at Redgrave. The Gospel Hall is the meeting place of the Brethren. Botesdale Lodge, the residence of James Devereux Hustler esq. J.P. situated a mile east from the village, is a modern mansion of white brick, with castellated turrets, surrounded by extensive gardens and lawns. George Holt Wilson esq. D.L. J.P. of Redgrave, who is lord of the manor, and Algernon D. Tuck esq. of St. Giles street, Norwich, are the principal landowners. The soil is principally mixed; subsoil, marl, sand and gravel. The crops are generally on the four-course system. The area is 1,235 acres; rateable value, £2,316; the population in 1891 was 455.

POST, M.O. & T.O. & S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.· - Charles Butcher; receiver. Letters arrive from Diss at 5.50 a.m. & 3 p.m.; the letter box is cleared at 10 a.m. & closes at 7.30 p.m. & the mail is dispatched at 10 a.m. & 7·45 p.m

County Police Station, Wm. Offord, sergeant, & 1 constable

There is a working men’s reading room

SCHOOLS :-
Under a scheme dated May 2nd, 1881, the funds of the old Free Grammar school, founded by Sir Nicholas Bacon in 1576, are administered by trustees so as to enable pupils from elementary schools to proceed to some higher grade school: exhibitions granted by the trustees for this purpose are called “Bacon Exhibitions,” & children from any of the parishes which adjoin either Redgrave or Botesdale, as well as children from Redgrave & Botesdale, are eligible Dyer’s Charity (mixed & infants), for 120 children; average attendance, 30; Mrs. Sarah E. Appleton, mistress. The children of the town also attend the National school of Redgrave

CARRIERS TO:-
BURY-Ernest Sheppard, wed. & sat
DISS-James Andrews & Ernest Sheppard, fri
FINNINGHAM STATION - James Reader Bailey, daily
MELLIS STATION - William Humphrey, daily

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.Collins MissGooderham William
Binckes Frederick, Upland houseCooper MrsGumm Miss
Buckenham MrsEaslea Mrs Barningham villaHill Edward, The Hollies
Butcher WilliamElliott Edward, The HermitageHustler Jas. Devereux J.P. The Lodge
Claydon ArthurFarrer Rev. Edmnnd (curate)Larsen Mrs
------------------------------------------------
Pearse Arthur M.D. The YewsCornish Charles, builder, contractor & well sinker; estimates freeNewstead Robt.farmer, Suggenhall frm
Porter WilliamPearse Arthur M.D. surgeon, & medical officer for Botesdale district of Hartismere union & Hinderclay & Rickinghall Inferior district, Stow union
Scates MrsDenny George, farmer
Scrivener Wm. Camden, The HighlandsDenny William, baker
Street MrsDykes Walter, cooper
Taylor Charles, Bank houseFoulger Arthur, horse slaughterPerry Charles, shopkeeper
Taylor Mrs. Robert, Osmond hoFoulger James, bill posterRednall Walter B. builder & timber mer
Vincent MrsFoulger James, poultry dealer & horse slaughtererRobinson Brothers, roller millers, merchants & colliery agnts.; & at Mellis & Burston Telegraphic address, “Robinson, Mellis Station”
COMMERCIAL.
Aldrich & Bryant, drapers & grocersFulcher Thomas, beer retailer
Bailey Walter, currier & leather cutterGurneys, Birkbecks, Barclay & Buxton, bankers (branch) (Charles Taylor, agent), open 10 to 3, sat. 10 to 2; draw on Barclay, Bevan. & Co. London E CRobinson Samuel, maltster & miller (wind & steam)
Baldry James, Cock P.H
Banham George, horse clipperRobinson William Weston, coal merchant & insurance agent
Barker Frederick S. beer retailer
Barker Walter, miller (wind)Rush William, veterinary surgeon & assistant overseer & rate collector
Bell Commercial Hotel (Leonard Tipple, proprietor); posting in all its branches; orders by letter or telegram punctually attended to; & farmerHackney Samuel, Greyhound P.H
Hackworth Emma (Mrs.), ladies’ schlSeeley Henry, Cherry Tree P.H
Hart Waiter, coach builderSbeppard Mark, Garden House P.H
Harvey James, brush ma. & pork btchrSilver John, tailor
Boston John, stationer & hair dresserHayward Robert Snare, blacksmithSilver Jonathan, beer retailer
Botesdale Reading Room (Thomas Litchfield, sec)Hazel David, builder & ironmongerSmith George, fish dealer
Howes Theodore, butcherSouthgate Robert, farmer
Bullock Henry, wheelwrightHumphrey William. coal dlr. & carrierStreet Wm. thrashing machine propr
Butcher Chas. grocer, draper, & post officeLitchfield Thos. shopkpr. & flour dealerSutton George, Queen’s Head P.H
Child Ellen L. (Miss), dress makerMatthews Henry, bakerThurlow John, farmer
Clarke Charles, cowkeeperMessenger David, butcherWainwright Harry, farmer, Street frm
Claydon Edward & Son, saddlers & harness makersMitchell Arthur, boot makerWarren John, shoe maker
Mullinger Edward, boot makerWarren Stephen, butcher
Clements Gcorge, carpenterNewstead Harold, farmer, Abbot’s hall (postal address, Rickinghall, Diss)Wilson Rowland H. (of Bury), solicitor
Cook Hannah (Mrs.), boot & shoe makrWolsey Harry, watch maker & jeweller

Notes:


  [ Home ] [ Local ] [ Botesdale ]  

Page last updated: 12 Jul 2022
© Diss Family History Group & Nigel Peacock 2022