Shelfanger sign
The History of Shelfanger

Shelfanger picture

SHELFANGER is a parish and village in Diss hundred, Guiltcross union, county court district of Diss, diocese of Norwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk, and rural deanery of Redenhall, distant 3 miles N.W. from Diss station. The area is about 1,719 acres, chiefly the property of the Duke of Norfolk; the lord of the manor is Edgar Chinnery, Esq., of Eye, Suffolk. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with square tower, containing five bells. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of R. B. Smith, Esq., of Sheffield, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Clement Ogle Smith, M.A., who has 35a. Or. 12p. of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £555. Here are chapels for the Baptists and Wesleyans, and a parish school. The population in 1871 was 393. [J. G. Harrod & Co.‘s Royal County Directory of Norfolk with Lowestoft in Suffolk, 1877.]

The sections below will take you to what we currently have about the history of the village of Shelfanger.

Currently available data for Shelfanger
(Use the searches to find individual records )

Photos of Shelfanger as it is now .....

Nothing to display yet



Notes:


  [ Home ] [ Local ]  

Page last updated: 13 Jul 2022
© Diss Family History Group & Nigel Peacock 2022